Saturday 27 July 2013

Starkissed by Bryanna Gabrielson Review

I wouldn't mind living the life of a celebrity for a day, wouldn't you? If you're up for living vicariously though a girl who becomes a mini-celebrity because an a-lister takes interest in her, Starkissed is a must read.

A lot of my issues with 'celebrity' romances are that they take place in Hollywood (were gossip, keeping up 'images' and other such nonsense is important). There situation, for me at least, becomes pretty unrelatable. The beauty of this book is that it all took place in Sydney's home town, so it doesn't completely loose me somewhere between Gucci and Prada. Definitely a major positive of the novel. 

The characters were another positive being well fleshed out, surprisingly likeable and believable. The lead, Sydney, stole my heart from the beginning. She was funny, likeable and kept her head in such a crazy situation. In fact, at times it seems like she's the only one thinking with her head. The love interest, Grant, who managed to convince me he was actually a nice bloke despite making me face-palm occasional because of his idiotic decisions. Then you have the best friend who's a sucker for popular kids *le sigh* who grows on you when you don't feel like slapping her. The family was good too, they each had their own personality (even if the Dad and younger sister were totally stereotypical) and didn't kind of mush into one. 

You'd think the story is here is pushed along by the blossoming romance of Sydney and Grant and you wouldn't be wrong. What would be wrong is for you to assume that this is just a romance. No, this is a book about a girl who's in a situation way over head and cope with a problem that only seems to be getting worse. What I particularly liked was that there was that there was quite a lot of time spent with Sydney going to school and dealing with her family. It definitely felt like the 'love story' didn't take over anything. Talking about love story...

The romance in this book was, for me, the weakest part. It wasn't a prominent part of the novel (despite what the blurb tries to sell you). In fact, they don't really know each other all that well having only been on a couple of dates and by the end of the novel you kind of feel like their relationship is just starting. I know plenty of people who'd be happy with this, but for me personally, I prefer the couple to have gone past the honeymoon period and worked through the tough times so that I know they will survive when thinks aren't looking sunny. That's the only problem I have with this novel and some might not even find it a problem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment