Saturday 27 July 2013

Dreams of Monsters and Gods by Lani Taylor Prereview

After finishing Days of Blood and Starlight my heart broke. What Karou and Akiva had was a beautiful romance and I want it to never end. But it did and this left me a little distraught.


Then I was like, "HOLD UP! Someone, hit me!"

So I stopped feeling with my heart and started thinking with mybrain . It's astonishing what perspective can do. Upon revision I found the cold, hard fact: Akiva gave the angles means to cause the death of Karou's family and race. He had knowledge at his fingertips and he used the power for bad - for genocide! It doesn't matter that he spent the entirety of the book trying to right his wrongs or that he handled the consequences like a meek child who knows they deserve the punishment. He's done bad things and though doesn't necessarily make him 'bad', somethings are unforgivable. If Karou does forgive him, I won't be able to respect her as a character. 

This leaves me teally really conflicted. The hopeless romantic inside of me still ships them (what can I say, love is irrational) but the rational side of me is like 'HELL NO!'. 



Edit: This is just my humble opinion, so feel free to express your own arguments in the comments. But remember to keep it clean and be mature. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment